Friday, January 30, 2009

Bad Parent Award

goes to me.



On Friday we lost Ross at the volleyball game. He just took off. We found him a couple of minutes later on the little basketball court but of course I was in panic mode the whole time. Sunday after church he took off again! He was trying to follow little Ellie home across the street! Someone told us that there were a couple cars stopped on the road so he could cross. (Heart attack!!!) He just thinks he is so big and can go wherever he wants. We have leashes, maybe it's time to take them EVERYWHERE. (Thanks Kim, for holding on to him for us so we could pick him up safely).



Later that day we were at Kimball's grandma's house. The fireplace was on and there is one part on the side where it vents and it is next to this metal strip and it gets really HOT. Tad crawled up to sit in front of it and put his hand right where it's hot and burned his hand. Badly. Poor little boy! He couldn't understand why it kept hurting for so long! It broke my heart. He is so smart and if I had just thought to explain to him to be careful around the fireplace...but we didn't know it got so hot in that one spot and for some reason I just thought he knew... Ugh.


He burned the top part of his palm and each of his fingers. We put it in ice cold water and then put burn cream on and wrapped it. The next morning I unwrapped it to dress it again and it looked AWFUL.


WARNING: These pictures aren't for the squeemish.




That isn't an orange segment on his hand, it's a huge blister. Poor kid couldn't even close his hand. The blister looked like it was going to pop on its own it was so big. I ran him down to the docs and they popped it to release some of the pressure. Then they wrapped him back up and asked us to come back the next day. He seemed to feel alot better and liked the blue tape they put on his hand.
The next day they had to cut off the skin because it the wound could get infected easily with so much skin on it.





We have a few pics of his hand because taking pictures of his hand helped to distract him from thinking about it.


So now we are dressing it at home. Trying to be optimistic. It could be worse and he is doing really well with it. We also have awesome neighbors. Our neighbor is a nurse so she has supplied us with gauze and saline. Wonderful. Hopefully it will heal soon!



Most of these events happened on Sunday--Kimball's birthday. Happy birthday, honey! (insert sarcasm here)

Side story: while I was on the phone with the doctors office trying to get Tad in as soon as possible Rogan comes running around the corner yelling: "Ross is making me walk the plank!" Then Ross comes walking slowly toward us with a very large bread knife and says "Arr, walk the plank!" Heaven help me. I thought that knife was WAAAYYY out of his reach.

Like I said. Bad Parent Award.

13 comments:

Kim said...

Oh Aubrey- That is awful! His poor hand! It just breaks your heart! Don't feel bad - these things happen to everyone! I've gotten the award quite a few days myself.=)

Jessie and Byron said...

His poor little hand makes me sad, poor little guy! Don;t worry I already took the bad parent award last summer.... Boys are so much work!!

Jan T. said...

Oooohhh! Ouch! Poor little Tad. Poor mom! Hope next week is better...I might have to put a call into child service's if it isn't!:)

Harrison - Party of Four! said...

I couldn't believe that first picture (with the "orange slice") Your great- I think I'll always keep your number on hand and ask for advice when this kind of stuff happens to my own kids (when we have them).

DizzyLizzy said...

Isn't parenting grand!!!! I feel for your little guys' hand. But I laughed hysterically at the "walk the plank" story. That is totally something that my son would have done. Gotta love boys!!!!

Katie said...

I'm so sorry you had such a rough weekend! That hand is the saddest thing I have ever seen. Why do kids do these things to us? Well, sounds like you need a girls night out, maybe this week? We'll have to plan something!

Esther Noelle said...

Wow those pictures are crazy! Poor guy! Oh what a stressful bunch of events Aubrey! And of course the Bad Parent Award goes around to all of us every now and then!! You are a great mommy!!!

Mike and Emily said...

What a brave little guy! For a moment, when you said rogan came running around the corner followed by Ross with the bread knife, I thought you were talking about your father-in-law. Although it didn't make sense that we would capitulate to a child with a knife, it was a funny image.

Clarissa and Darrin said...

That is insane! I have never seen anything like that. What a trooper. I think I want a girl next, na-gotta love the boys. :)

Cori said...

You can't qualify to be the very parent unless you lose at least one child and visit the emergency room/doctor with a bad burn, cut, broken bone. That's what I heard and I lived up to that!

Carrie said...

I'm glad you found us too so that we could find you. I'm so sorry about that 'no good, horrible, bad day' We are doing well. How are you? Seems busy with those cute cute boys of yours.

Elder Romney's mission said...

Poor baby!

Mandi said...

I read this on my google reader a long time ago - and forgot to comment. I feel so bad for him. He is such a brave little kid. How is it looking now?