When I was little I would always try to find a place to hide and read. I would often climb high in a magnolia tree in our front yard so no one could find me. Sometimes my mom would come looking for me and if she didn't call me more than once I didn't think it was that important and would stay hidden. (My poor Mom, I'm so lucky she has a good sense of humor and can laugh at it--she endured so much.)
I think I read every Nancy Drew (they were my favorite) and Hardy Boys books that were available. I also loved The Babysitter's club, The Boxcar Children, The Island of the Blue Dolphins and Enchantress of Crumbledown. These were among my favorites and books that I read over and over again.
I am a fast reader. I think it's becasue I had so much practice. When I was in grade school one of my teachers was concerned that we weren't reading to enjoy it, but just to check off another book on our list. I didn't dream that she was talking to me until she said: "There is no way you can read a huge Babysitter's Club book in one day." She looked pointedly at me. I was shocked. I didn't know what to say, so I never said anything. What she didn't know is that I read all day and part of the night. I would read until my Mom (again, poor Mom) insisted that the lights go out, and then when she went to bed I would read by my nightlight until I finished the book. Of course, my mother knew, but I have already mentioned her sense of humor...
During the years where I had child after child (okay, an exaggeration, but it feels like it...) I didn't get to read much seeing as I had little ones to take care of. Now I have a little (teeny tiny)bit of time to read and I am realizing how much I missed it!
So, loving to read as I do, I have always dreamed of having a library in my future home/mansion (a girl can dream, right?) Maybe something extravagant like the library in Beauty and the Beast,
Or even more appealing (and likely) something more warm, intimate and cozy, maybe with a fireplace. Maybe more like this :

Where I would lounge with a good book on a large comfy couch or a french chaise. Maybe like this one:

or this one:

And there would be a pretty door to the library. Perhaps like this one:
And now that I have kids, I'm realizing that the inside of said door is probably going to have to look like this:

Uhhh Sorry, I can't seem to figure out this lock.... :) Or better yet, visualize a door with locks and bolts all down the length of it. Hee hee hee.
Well, this post has gotten madly and wildly out of hand. I simply wanted to let you all know that I enjoy reading. And if you like to read too, you should join me on goodreads.com. I really like it because I am always looking for a good read and I can see what my friends are recommending. Just sign up--it's free--and then search for me and add me as a friend. I am armed with my new library card ( look out world!) and I have a list of books to read.
Maybe the winter won't be so bad after all...
8 comments:
Aubrey, I'm with you. Hook me up with the Beauty and the Beast library and I'll be set. What are you reading and loving these days?
Hi! Cute blog, cute kids, cute everything!:) I always loved that huge magnolia tree in your front yard...didn't know you used to hide in it & read though!:) Your poor mom!:) Glad you are getting a minute here and there to read again....hope there isn't a magnolia tree in your yard now!:)
I am SOOOOOO right there with you. I hid to read too! We should start a book club! I am part of another one, but they picked this alternative anti-mormon book and I don't know if I want to be apart of that one anymore. It will depend, but we should start one so that we get to see each other more often and do what we absolutely love, READ!!!
I loved reading this post! The details and photos were worth the time because I got a glimpse of you as a kid. I'm glad I'm your goodreads friend -- I'm excited to see what reviews you add in the future.
its allways good to see how your freinds are doing.
I might have to sign up for good reads . . . except I am quite the opposite - I have never been a huge reader. I always thought I was a "slow" reader growing up, so I never really got into it -- that is until I had to take Children's Literature at BYU. Then I loved to read (and realized that I am not really all that slow - not fast by any means - but not as slow as I thought I was). I just started reading again a week ago - and forgot how much I love it. I have read the first 3 books and am now starting the 4th book in the Artemis Fowl series.
Aubrey I tried to look for you on Goodreads but I couldn't find you! Try adding me if you can! :)
Thanks I'm glad you let me know! If anyone else can't find me try searching my email aubtaylor@hotmail.com or let me know and I will add you!
Post a Comment