
The first week of July our little Rogan had surgery. He and Ross have terrible teeth (a characteristic of many twins, I hear) even though we brush and use fluoride and do everything we can, Rogan had some decay in his teeth. He's only 2, augh!!!
So we took him in so they could clean up his teeth, and while he was under they did a little frenectomy. I am really not the best person to try to explain this, but all 3 of our kids have a frenulum that is lower than normal, and would make them have a David Letterman gap between their two front teeth if it's not clipped. So we figured it was a good time to do it when Rogan was already knocked out.
So Rogan and I took off bright and early to Riverwoods Surgical Center. He couldn't eat before surgery so we got the earliest time possible as the first thing he demands in the morning is cereal. We checked in and the nurse made a big show of giving him a new t-shirt and a "bracelet"(his wristband). He missed Ross and kept asking where he was (they really have never been apart) but was very happy with all the attention and gifts he was getting.

He watched cartoons for a bit and then the nurse came and took him away in a wagon (so cute!) and told him that he was going to go blow up a magic balloon and take a magic nap. He went happily, barely looking back at me to wave bye-bye. I was so grateful for good nurses!
Everything went very well but he was pretty upset when he woke up and would only let Kimball try to calm him. One surprise was that the nurse that was in recovery was one that saw me when I was pregnant with the twins and she was so excited to see Rogan!
Dr. Markham said that Rogan's teeth weren't decayed very far (good news) but that his enamel just flaked off very easily (bad news) but he tried to fix that as best he could while he was in there. We really love him, he is so good with the kids and is the best pediatric dentist (and he's a good family friend :) ).
All Rogan wanted was popsicles so we loaded up on popsicles and headed home. He didn't complain much and healed quickly. Sometimes he still flinches when we wipe his mouth on his upper lip, but we were told it would be tender for quite awhile and I think it's almost totally better now.
Someday we are going to have to go through the same thing for Ross and Tad. (All 3 of them have the same thing, funny huh? Tad, we are happy to hear has very strong teeth.) But now we know what to expect. For those of you who still struggle to tell R&R apart, you can look and see who has a more predominant frenulum. haha. Thanks to my sister, Natasha, who woke up super early to come take care of Ross and Tad while Kimball and I were with Rogan!
2 comments:
Hailey is tongue tied too :( but the doctors I have gone to won't clip it. They say that if she isn't having a hard time breast feeding - they won't do it. . . . but we are going to her first Seattle doctor's appointment tomorrow and I'll see what the doc says about it here! I might try to convince them that she isn't eating well (but seeing as she is 18 lbs already it might be a challenge!). Glad everything went ok during Rogan's surgery.
I'm so glad the surgery went well. Any surgery is scary when it's one of your babies! I'm sorry you have to do it 2 more times :(
Post a Comment