Saturday, May 10, 2008

Kimball's Super Hummus Recipe

This is the famous hummus that some of you have heard about and some of you have even tasted. After a small inner battle, I have decided to give away my only kitchen secret. I would never say good things about myself as a chef, but I have to give myself a big High-5 for this one. I adapted this recipe from a regular hummus recipe and added and subtracted a few things to make it just the way I like it. Hope you like it too.



Kimball's Mexi Hummus


  • 2-15 oz. cans of Garbanzo beans/Chick Peas. (They are the same thing) Drained and rinsed.


  • ¼ cup Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste) (You can find this at Smith’s or Good Earth—It is like peanut butter made of sesame seeds--btw, only one ingredient: sesame seeds)



  • 1 teaspoon of Olive Oil



  • ½ teaspoon of salt



  • ½ teaspoon of Rosemary (I use the crushed stuff on the spice aisle.)



  • ½-¾ cup of water (This is just to get the consistency right—you want it more runny for dipping chips)



  • A lot of Lemon Juice (About ¼ -1/3 cup—freshly squeezed is best, but I usually don’t have time—taste it to see how much you like.)



  • 2-3 Tablespoons Salsa Valentina (You can get this at Walmart or Smith’s)




Put everything in a blender. (I always wait to add the valentina until the very end because I like to watch the color change.) I actually use a hand mixer. You really have to mix for a long time until it is really puréed. If you have little garbanzo chunks you have to keep mixing.



And for anyone who didn't see on a previous post from Aubrey, we blend up broccolli really fine and mix it with this stuff, and our kids cry when it is all gone. They love it.


Other uses: dip chips (most popular), spread on sandwich, dip for pita bread, dip raw vegetables, etc. Be creative--it is hard to go wrong with it.


Last thing I want to say is look at the ingredients and just think about how healthy this is. I bet this is the healthiest dip you'll ever have, and one of the most delicious as well. Enjoy.


2 comments:

Mandi said...

Yeah! Thanks Kimball!!! I was just heading to the store and thought - ah - I'd better check the blogs first - I was obviously inspired to do so! Can't wait to try it.

Dink said...

Yeah!! Kimball I can't wait to make this and eat it I have heard very good things!!