Thursday, April 10, 2008

Actively Potty Training. Suggestions?

Tomorrow (Apr. 11) will be day 3 of potty training. They really did well the first few hours of potty training. Ross did especially well. He can sit down and go pee-pee in the potty pretty much every time he sits down to do so. He can do it all by himself, except for recognizing when he needs to go. Rogan can do it too, but if he can't do it perfectly the first time, he doesn't want to try anymore. When he does go in the potty he is so happy and can clean up well, but he has a hard time recognizing when he needs to go.

I guess they just need practice so they can recognize the urge. But now my problem is that the toilet has pretty much lost it's appeal. It's like they are tired of the game and they say 'no' when I suggest they should use the potty. One thing I have in my favor is that they hate to be wet.

I don't want to push them too hard for fear that it will just end bad and stretch out the time it will take to train them, but they are so close and they can do it! I'ts almost like they need more motivation, I just can't think of how to give it to them. It's crazy to think we have come from them being so excited and wanting to use the potty to not wanting to use it in such a short time. (See previous post) I have tried to be so loving and patient, but I don't know how much I have left :)

I guess I will try for a couple more days and then make a decision, but it's so frusturating to be so close and yet so far away!

What do you think? Please leave your suggestions and opinions. I know every one's experience and children are different, but I would love to hear all your comments. Thanks :)

5 comments:

Camille said...

I obviously don't have any experience with this yet, but my sister finally found the solution with her three year old little boy. It's called the Peter Potty. It's actually a child urinal and my nephew LOVES it! He also has a potty watch to remind him to go and it worked like a charm. But he was a little older, so i don't know. Good luck! :)

Kim said...

Have you tried telling them they can have some Edamame every time they go?=) hee hee

Carlie said...

Good luck! I just bought max one after he started taking his diaper off every time I put him in the crib! They do get easier, right?

mary said...

WOW, look at those little boys! I can't even fathom potty training twins! Potty training actually went really quickly at our house. Here is what worked for us, take it or leave it. We just went cold turkey with David- no diapers any more, just regular underwear, with "nighttime underwear" (Pull-ups) for bedtime and naps.

We spent the entire first day in the bathroom. I had David go every 15 minutes so that he would have a lot of successes. It was hard keeping Hyrum entertained that day. After that, I just tried every possible motivator to keep things positive for him-- treats, sticker charts, rewards, you name it. We set a timer so that David knew when the timer went off, it was time to stop playing and go pee.

He quickly learned to hold it for long periods of time. By day two he was staying dry at naps and nighttime, and he's never had an accident while he is asleep.

So we still remind him to go, but he is recognizing the urge more and more. I think it is something they have to grow into. You are doing great-- I have no answers for how to do it with TWO boys at one time... but that is what worked for us with ONE little boy. Keep us posted. You are such a great little mommy!

Katie said...

Good luck Aubrey! The week that I trained Jane was the worst week of my life. But then it was over and she's done fine since. I liked using the methods from that book. The 2 big ones that helped me were the treat at a dry check, and the phasing of potty reminders, from telling them to go, to asking if their pant were dry. And just remember, this too shall pass!